Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Calling a Friend

Ethan made a friend in his 1st Grade class. His name is Brendan and he's very shy. We ran into them at the Harvest Market this past weekend and Ethan immediately asked if they could have a playdate. Apparently he and Brendan have been planning this since school started...

So last night Ethan asked if he could call his friend. We got a phone list from the teacher and since I had met the parents already I figured it would be ok.

I dialed the number and Ethan took the phone out of my hands. Brendan's mom answered and they chatted for a moment. Then Ethan asked in his most polite voice, "Could I please speak to Brendan."

They chatted for a while and devised a plan for Ethan to go home with Brendan from school for a playdate today. Not wanting to be pushy I asked Ethan if Brendan had asked his mother. After a few back-and-forths it was determined that this was indeed ok with her.

I got on the phone (after lots of prodding to get Ethan off) and spoke with Jen, Brendan's mom. She's as thrilled as I am that they've become friends. Her son is very shy and this is apparantly the first time he's talked on the phone with a friend.

So today after school Ethan is going home with his new friend to have a playdate at his house. We went over manners and talked about what kinds of words we shouldn't use at other people's houses (all the fun potty words that Scott & the boys like to use). He's so excited.

So am I...

No comments:

Post a Comment